My Mom-O passed away at the end of April and left behind some beautiful pieces of furniture. One piece in particular, a dinette, was eye-catching with all the hand carved details it boasted. It was this same grandmother who graciously furnished our home when she and my Pop-O downsized, so I already had the matching dining room table on Robin Lane.
One could tell this dinette had been well-loved and used by the wear and tear it exhibited. It had some scratches and marks, discoloration, and one of the doors would not shut. It however, was still beautiful and just needed a little TLC.
The matching table is down in our basement being used as a craft table, since it also has some wear and tear, so I wasn’t worried about the two pieces matching or even being near one another. I instead decided I wanted to paint this dinette and use it on our screened-in back porch for storage and serving food.
The first step was to remove the doors, drawer, and hardware. I decided to just spray paint the old hardware to save some money.
While the hardware was drying, I sanded the entire piece and used wood filler to fill in gashes and holes. Once that part was finished, I primed everything with two coats of Valspar stainblocking/bonding primer, sanding in between coats.
Once the primer was dry, I used the leftover white paint from the floor and trim and fireplace projects to paint. I used both a small roller (for the flat top) and an angled brush to get into the cracks. I did three coats. Once the last coat was dry, I used a clear, brush-on polycyclic protective finish. This will help seal the paint from scratches.
*It is important to note that this does not go on with a yellow tint like other types will.
You can see how I used painter’s tape to tape off the inside, this is because I decided I did not want to put the doors back on. I knew that since the door wouldn’t close to begin with, there was no way I would be able to get it to close with three layers of paint on it. I also wanted to keep the old beautiful wood on the inside showing. It did not have any damage and was such a pretty shade, I knew it would look nice exposed.
I put the newly painted hardware back on the drawer and put the drawer back into place and with Andrew’s help, carried the “new” piece out to the back porch. I added a few little knickknacks to give it some style and could not be more thrilled with how it turned out!
It fills up the extra space along the wall nicely and pairs with my antique ladder. I have hanging up. I know this piece will be something we use for years to come and I like to think that Mom-O would be pleased with its updated look!
Primer/Paint/Supplies: $0 (left over from another project)
Spray Paint: $0 (left over from another project)