I have a problem. I can’t finish a project before starting a new one. We finished the hardwood flooring demo, prep, and install and were finishing up painting doors and trim throughout the house. I planned to paint the doors and trim in the guest bathroom and decided to go ahead and paint them while we had all the painting supplies out (If you have done any amount of painting, you know the biggest hassle is getting the stuff out to start and putting it away when finished).
We took the doors down and got them painted while I painted the door frames and trim (there are 3 different doors in the guest bathroom- door from the hallway, a closet, and a door into a separate room that houses the shower and toilet). While painting the trim, I pulled up a bit of the wallpaper that had come loose to paint under it and the next thing I knew, I had pulled down all the wallpaper.
Andrew was not happy with me since this was on Monday night and we were planning to host our family for lunch the following Sunday to reveal the floors. Now we had to finish painting the trim and doors and deal with a bathroom that was halfway demolished.
Backstory: Our bathroom was livable. It was functional and didn’t look horrible, but it was not good. The wallpaper was old and stained, the grout on the backsplash, well what was left, was gross and cracked. The cabinets screamed 1980’s, the trim and doors didn’t match any of the other wood in our house (even before the floor remodel) and the laminate flooring had seen better days. And we had planned to work on it, just not right now.
I had planned to paint the cabinet in the coming weeks because it would be an easy, 1-2 hour project and planned to tackle the rest (wallpaper removal, paint, grout, caulking, etc.) this summer. But all of that went down the drain when I couldn’t keep myself from taking down all the wallpaper.
Luckily, we were snowed in all week. We got about 12 inches of snow in the course of 3-4 days, which is a lot for our area, and school had been closed the entire week. This gave me the opportunity to finish the bathroom.
I painted the terrible cabinets a nice brownish gray and changed the hardware. I’m not really sure why these cabinets were two-toned. They had been painted this way! Super easy fix either way.(PS: Ignore the blue painter’s tape, I had already taped everything off before I remembered to take a picture)
I was just joking with a friend today that I spray paint everything, which in reality, is true. The hinges on these cabinets were made specifically for this design of a door and they were brown. I didn’t want brown and could not find a replacement at any of the local hardware stores, so what did I do? I just spray painted them a nice chrome to match the fixtures.
Sadly, I don’t have any pictures of the room before to upload, but you aren’t missing anything….just image textured wallpaper that used to be white and you’ve got it.
Basically I just did what I do best, painted. I did have to repair a few spots that had some wear and tear from well, just being in a bathroom and being covered in wallpaper for 40 years. I started in the smaller section of the bathroom that houses the shower and toilet and moved from there. I decided on a darker brownish-gray to complement the white fixtures, doors, and trim.
Luckily for us, the previous owners had updated the light fixture as well as the light switch and outlet plates and the towel racks, toilet paper holder, and faucet were all new. Because of that, once I was finished painting, there wasn’t much left to do.
I did re-grout the backsplash and you can read about that adventure here but once that was finished, all that was left was to caulk (everything..tub, toilet, trim, cabinet) and decorate.
I got lucky and found towels that matched perfectly on clearance and a shower curtain at Kohl’s and a nice over-the-toilet shelf from Wal-Mart for $20. My grandmother gave me a set of prints that my great-grandmother had sketched that I was able to use and display along with another one of her other paintings that I already had.
In the coming weeks I plan to use some left-over moulding to trim the mirror (I just have to convince one of Andrew’s friends that his help is worth a Mexican dinner or something comparable for pay) and eventually tile the floor.
To be honest, when I first started on this project I HATED the countertop and couldn’t wait to replace it, but now seeing it with the updated room, it’s not so bad. It’s funny how remodels can do that.